Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Testing and Experimenting with Creme of Nature Perfect Edges



Part 1 Breaking Down the Ingredients


 Hi Everyone, I've been trying on and off with different ingredients in making my own edge controller for my edges without the worries of harmful ingredients sinking into my skin. Well, I have several ingredients to choose from that can make or break the product I want to achieve. I want to share with you all my journey in making my own version of this hair edge tamer. Don't get me wrong, I used this product pictured above because it does what it says as far as laying down those stubborn edges to have that smooth, sleek look, but I'm curious to find out if I can come up with a similar product using a more natural approach, and being in control by substituting out the synthetic ingredients. I hope this post will give helpful tips or ideas to others out there who make their own products where to start with this guide (I hope this will be a guide). 

In experimenting, there will be failures along the way, but at least I will be doing the hard part for you. Okay, let's get started. 

First, let's examine the back label of this product. This is a water-based product as you can see it is the first ingredient. Let's break down this product. I will have a check by the ingredients that is safe for our skin and hair. Furthermore, I will list what I will be using. Also, I will list my substitute ingredients from the synthetics.






  • Water ⇃- Natural Diluent. A stable pH base to start with.
I think it depends on what level it's being used. I research Ceteareth-25, and the level to use it will be at 0.5-3%, and for gels 30%, but this is a concern since it increases toxins into the bloodstream.
  • Propylene Gycol- This is an Synthetic Humectant, which causes irritation and contact dermatitis. 
  • PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate ⇃- All purpose water and oil emulsifier that can be used as a emollient, for thickening products, also useful as surfactant & foam booster in shampoos, used in facial cleansers, lotions, hand soap, shower gels just to name a few.
  • Glycerin ⇃- Natural Emollient. Vegetable glycerin is a clear, colorless, and odorless liquid with an incredibly sweet taste having the consistency of a thick syrup. It has emollient like properties which can soften and soothe the skin. Glycerin is in almost anything we use.
  • Oleth-20- Emulsifier (Synthetic) which keep the product from separation. Also used as a mild cleanser. a low hazard concern.
  • Fragrance ⇃- It's possible I will use a fragrance. In a low percentage.
  • Polysorbate 60⇃multi-purpose emulsifier and dispersing agent which keeps water and oil from separating. Food additive.
  • Sweet Almond Oil ⇃- Natural emollient. This oil is universal in keeping your skin and hair beautiful.
  • Argan Oil ⇃- Another beautiful oil for skin and hair. It penetrates well within the skin.
  • Rosemary Leaf Oil ⇃- Rosemary leaves infused in organic Olive Oil, with a touch of vitamin E oil. This oil can be used as a hot oil treatment for hair.
  • Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol ⇃- This is one of hair's best extracts to use to strengthen hair. It penetrates the cortex of the hair shaft effectively. This is what you would look for in hair products if you undergo regular hair treatments such as hair coloring, relaxers, perms, having damaged hair, or regular heat use.
  • Keratin Amino Acids⇃- This has the same effect of the as the Hydolyzed Wheat Protein. It revitalizes the hairs natural protective layer, rebuilds and returns elasticity and reduces breakage. Has been shown to greatly reduce hair damage from harsh chemicals. 
  • Benzyl Benzoate- A synthetic preservative with health concern score of 6 (moderate hazard) Source: https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/700698/BENZYL_BENZOATE/
  • Linalool⇃- A natural alcohol found in essential oils from plants or flowers. In this case, it would be from the Rosemary Leaf Oil.
  • Phenoxyethanol Methylparaben- A paraben preservative. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the phenoxyethanol then it would be considered as a paraben and formaldehyde-free cosmetic preservative, but keep in mind stability is key in making gels.
  • Ethylparaben-  A paraben preservative. It is noted it is an human endocrine disruptor, human immune toxicant or allergen. Source: https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/702355/ETHYLPARABEN/
  • Sorbic Acid⇃- is a naturally occurring compound that's become the most commonly used as a food & cosmetic preservative. Non Toxic.
Lastly, the coloring for their ideal product. I don't know as of yet if I am going to add color, but if I do, I will be using an herb that will deliver that part.

Now, my take on with making a similar product, I will probably use some of the check marked ingredients above, and for my preservative I will use Potassium sorbate, Citric acid, Tocopherols T50, and for a stabilizer Tetrasodium EDTA. I will explain why.
Potassium sorbate is a food grade preservative generally regarded as safe worldwide. It is the inactive salt of sorbic acid. When dissolved in water it converts to sorbic acid, and as a sorbic acid, it is considered to be active against mold, fair against yeast and poor against most bacteria, so I will be added and additional preservative.

I will include the antioxidant Vitamin E (Tocopherols T50)⇃ so that the potassium sorbate will not go through oxidation.

A chelating agent such as Tetrasodium EDTA. This chelating agent makes an effective preservative because this antioxidant also inhibits cell wall formation in bacteria. If you know another natural way to preserve pomade gels let me know.

I will gather my ingredients momentarily to start with what I hope to be a successful product, and like I said before, the purpose for this project is to make a similar holding product, plus have control to what I want added to ensure a healthy scalp, which in turn, having healthy hair. I will be checking the pH at the end. Well, for now I have to get going in ordering some of my ingredients.


Thanks so much for visiting, stay tune for the next part.